Palace on WheelsThis South India Version of Palace On Wheels, was launched in March 2008 & has been rated by The Vanity Fair, U.K. amongst the top seven train journeys in the world.
Built & operated on same concept of it's more famous North India counterpart ,The Golden Chariot Train is a joint collaboration between Indian Railways & State Govt. Of Karnataka; & the onboard hospitality is managed by Maple Group of Hotels.
The Golden Chariot Train operates on two different circuits Ex Bangalore :
- 7 Nights Pride Of South Circuit covering Mysore, Hampi & Goa
- 7 Nights Southern Splendour circuit covering Pondicherry, Madurai & Kerala backwaters
GOLDEN CHARIOT PRIDE OF SOUTH TRAIN TOUR PROGRAM
Day 01 : MON : Bangalore Depart
Self Report by 4.00 pm (1600 hrs) at Hotel Taj West End ,Bangalore for check in formalities of Golden Chariot Tour, followed by Hi-Tea & brief tour presentation.
After Hi-Tea board AC bus to visit ISKON Krishna Temple & later be escorted to Yashwantpura Railway Station (Bangalore) to board
The Golden Chariot Train by 8 p.m.; after traditional welcome. The train departs from Bangalore by 9 p.m. Dinner on board.
Day 2: TUE: Visit Mysore Palace & drive to Kabini
After breakfast ,board AC Bus by 10 a.m. to visit famous Mysore Palace- seat of Wodeyar Dynasty for over 500 years Visit huge Durbar Halls,Art Gallery & armoury museum .Later drive 2.5 hrs to Kabini Forest Reserve for overnight stay Check into Jungle Lodge on arrival, followed by lunch & brief rest. Late afternoon jeep excursion to Nagarhole Jungles, former hunting retreat of Mysore Royalty Forests of Kabini /Bandipur/Nagarhole are spread over 600 square kilometres & was declared protected reserve in 1973 under Project Tiger; and now called Rajiv Gandhi National park Mostly covered by teak, rosewood & dry deciduous forest; it is home to elephants, tigers, leopard, herds of deer, wild boars etc, besides numerous birds and reptiles.
Return to the Jungle Lodge to share excitement of sighting of various wild animals over screening of wild life film, followed by dinner Night Stay in jungle lodge at Kabini
Day 3: WED Morning: Drive back from Kabini / Mysore
Early morning boat ride in Kabini River, to view some of the 80 species of aquatic birds
After breakfast ,board AC Bus by 930 a.m. & drive back to Mysore Railway Station to board Golden Chariot Train for brief rest & lunch
Day 03 : WED Afternoon : Mysore
Afternoon excursion to 18th century built Srirangapatnam Fort, famous for battles between British Colonial forces & legendry Mysore Warrior King Tipu Sultan.
Time free for shopping & later enjoy cultural program followed by dinner at Lalita Mahal Palace Hotel Return to the train by 10 p.m. which is stabled overnight at Mysore Station
Palace on WheelsDay 04 : THURS Morning : Gomateswara Hill Monolith
Early morning 6 a.m. the train departs from Mysore Station to reach Hassan Railway Station by 8.15 a.m. After breakfast, board AC buses for drive to Shravanabelagola & climb 700 steps up a steep hill, to view the 57 feet high monolithic statue of Jain Monk, Lord Gomateswara, built in 10th century (OPTION to stay back in the train, if not interested for the steep hill climb) Return to the train at Hassan Railway station by 1 p.m. for lunch & brief rest.
Day 04 : THURS Afternoon : Belur & Halebid
Afternoon excursion to architectural marvels of Belur & Halebid temple complex, with intricately carved statues, built under the royal patronage of Hosalya Dynasty in 12th century. Return to the train by 715 p.m. & depart. Dinner on board.
Day 05 : FRI : HAMPI - UNESCO World Heritage Site
Train arrives at Hospet railway station by 8 a.m. In 14th century ;Hampi was capital city of mighty & rich Vijayanagara Empire, which ruled most of South India Peninsula & even had controlling interest in south east Asia The ruins of once impressive Palace Complex spread over 26 square km. boulder strewn landscape, still bear strong testament of same Morning visit Virupaksha temple, Queens Palace, Elephant stables, Royal Enclosure and Hazara Rama temple Return to train by 1 p.m. for lunch & brief rest Late afternoon 430 p.m. proceed for excursion to Vittala temple Complex with musical pillars & an iconic architectural masterpiece of Stone Chariot, after which your train is named. Return to train for Dinner by 8 p.m. 7 train stabled at Hospet station for the night.
Day 06 : SAT : UNESCO World Heritage Site of Badami and Pattadakal
Train departs from Hospet at 5 a.m. to reach Badami railway station by 7.30 a.m. Morning visit cave sculptures at Badami, carved out of sand stone hills in 6th century ; most imposing being 18 armed Natraja striking 81 cosmic dance poses. Later, proceed for excursion to 8th century built Pattadakal Temple complex ,offering unique confluence of Dravidian and Indo-Aryan styles of temple architecture. Return to train by 1.30 p.m. & depart. Day at leisure. Lunch & Dinner on board.
Day 7 : Sun : GOA Churches & Golden Beaches
Train reaches Vasco de Gama railway station early morning . Board AC Buses by 10 a.m. to visit UNESCO World Heritage site of Old Goa , famous for 16th century built Portuguese churches Later visit Medieval Portuguese building & time free for shopping. Proceed for lunch at popular beach resort hotel Time at leisure to enjoy sea sports (at extra costs) or relax by swimming pool/beach Return to train by 530 p.m. & depart. Dinner on board.
Day 8 : Mon Noon: BANGALORE Return
The train arrives back at Yashwantpura Railway station, Bangalore by 1130 a.m.
Check-out on arrival.
- Train Tour Manager reserves the right to amend the day to day tour logistics at short notice.
Contact Us Booking
This luxury train offers option private A/C well furnished deluxe sleeping chambers having LCD TV and attached bathrooms. You have choice to book double/twin bedded cabins There is a Bar Saloon & Two Dining cars with onboard kitchen. The tourists can also avail services of Aryuvedic Spa saloon, Mini Gym & business centre.
Golden Chariot Train Tour Cost Includes :
on board stay in Sleeping Chambers with private washrooms (except Day 2 in Kabini forest Lodge) ;Daily Three Meals; Excursion & sightseeing arrangements with English Speaking Guides; Bottled drinking water monument entrance fees; Jungle Safari in Kabini; Cultural program in Mysore.
EXTRA COSTS (Not Included in train tour) :
Video camera fees at monuments & wildlife reserves ;Laundry; Alcoholic & Non Alcoholic Beverages; Tour Insurance ;Usage of Business Centre & Spa facility; Gratuity, Tips & Porter fee ; & all other expenses of personal nature.
GOLDEN CHARIOT TRAIN TERMS & CONDITIONS
Booking Procedure :
- Advice Date of Journey & number of cabins Required
- We require Name & Nationality of all the passengers to process booking
- In case if Children < 12 years ALSO forward Date of Birth with Age Proof
- For OCI Card Holders to pay as per INDIATIONAL National tariff â€“we require PAN CARD copies of all the passengers
- Bookings will be confirmed on receipt of MINIMUM 20% of Total Ticket Value(Inclusive Taxes) .
- Balance payment must reach us at least 40 days before depart date, with Passport Copies of All the Passengers ( Indians can forward any Other Photo Id. Residence Proof)
- For booking requests made < 40 days before train tour depart, WE REQUIRE One Time full train tour amount
- e-ticket will only be issued,-Once full tour amount credited in our bank A/C
- All Foreign Passport Holders must apply for India Visa in advance
Payment Options :
- You can make payment Either by Credit Card Authorization(Visa/MasterCard) ; OR Bank Wire Transfer.
- Indian nationals can forward payment by Cheque /Draft/RTGS etc
Cancellation Rules :Golden Chariot Train :
- Train Tour operator(KSTDC) reserves the right to amend published tariff
- Cancellation Request must be received in writing & acknowledged by us
- Minimum 5%( cancellation fee will be charged on total ticket value- If request received more than 62 working days prior to depart date
- Minimum 20% cancellation fee will be charged on total ticket value- If request received between 61 to 32 days prior to depart date
- Minimum 50% cancellation fee will be charged on total ticket value - If request received between 31 to 17 days prior to depart date
- Full 100% cancellation fee will be charged on total ticket value - If request received less than 17 days prior to depart date
- Request for Change in Travel Dates AND/OR change in Passenger Names Or Failure to get Indian Visa will be governed by Cancellation Rules
- Train Tour operator(KSTDC) reserves the right to cancel Or postpone the scheduled train depart for technical reasons OR if minimum passengers not met AND under such circumstances -Guests will be informed at least 15 days prior to scheduled train depart & full advance received for train booking will be refunded (with no further Liability of Royal Indian Trains)
- Disputes(if any) are subject to Jurisdiction of Courts of New Delhi(India) only
- The Golden Chariot Train is jointly owned by Indian Railways & State Tourism Dept. Of Karnataka & onboard/off board services are managed by Maple Group of Hotels
- Liability of Royal Indian Trains is only restricted to that of Booking Agent of Golden Chariot Train & not that of Principal Train Tour Operator (viz KSTDC)
- Golden Chariot Train tour will operate subject to minimum 11(eleven) paid passengers Or Advance received will be refunded,
- Liability of Train Tour Company is restricted to that defined under Indian Railways Act
- All Foreign Nationals are advised to self apply for Indian Visa, at least One Month before arrival in India.